Sunday, October 24, 2010

Erin's Birthday Extravaganza

With a long, long week behind me, I can finally settle down and sniffle my way through this post. Between all the running around, activities, and some stress, I have developed a cold/super sore throat. BUT, that did not hold me back from throwing Erin the birthday/tea/cocktail party she wanted. Yesterday, I spent 4.5 hours prepping some of the foods for today. That included chopping, dicing, blending, mixing, carmelizing, boiling eggs and making scones. Then I spent about 3.5 hours today putting everything together. Here is the menu. I am including the links where I got everything, because typing out the recipes would take wayyyyy too long, and the pictures are better than mine (damn you, poor lighting!). I have to give major thanks to Erin and Jaime, who woke up early and helped me cook and decorate and remain sane (like when I forgot my minced garlic at home). I almost forgot....Erin also saved my life from a treacherous and evil daddy long legs that was IN MY HAIR while I was cooking. Erin, I owe my life to you.

This is in the order that all was served

Mexican Deviled Eggs

Italian Deviled Eggs

Stuffed Cucumber Coins

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches with Mint

Prosciutto Wrapped Pear

I was weary about these, as you never know how open your guests might be to varying tastes.

Chipotle Shrimp Cups


Huge hit!

Double Tomato Bruschetta

My all-time favorite recipe for Bruschetta, whether home-made or from a restaurant.

Modern Cheese Balls

These came out right before dessert, and goat cheese is hit or miss with some.

Baby Baked Potatoes

Strawberry Chocolate Soft-Bake Biscuits

Banana Split Mini Bites

Great idea, but need to be more careful with the prep. The cherries and whipped cream kept coming off!

Lemon Drop Jello Shots

The biggest hit of the party, and one my favorite finds. Someday, I will bake everything from this blog. Whoever the baker is is my new hero.

My friend Jaime, the cupcake queen, also made a giant cupcake for the birthday cake, which everyone was too full to eat. It was yellow and devil's food cake with orange frosting and edible gold shavings, all topped off with sparkler candles (as Erin wanted fireworks at her party). The decor was ivory white table cloths, gold plates and napkins, ivory silverware with centerpieces that were flower bouquets inside of pumpkins.

Now, 5.5 hours later, I am slightly hungry again, and have settled for boxed mac & cheese. I KNOW, you're all probably wondering how I could eat that after all these gourmet bites, but there are just some foods that I will forever love, no matter how easy, cheap or basic. Plus, I mix it with peas and corn...and lobster if I have it!

I am off to begin planning another dinner party (perhaps an autumn, pre-Thanksgiving dinner) and what I'm going to make for the surprise 50th birthday party next weekend. And dinner for this week....ahhhhhh back into the grind....

No comments: