Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Haystack Dinner

OK....so I skipped my Monday night meal due to complete exhaustion. All of my extracurricular activities wore me down...but I'm back in the game. My Haystack dinner from tonight was supposed to be Monday night's meal, but instead I napped and then mooched some of my mum's fajitas. Last night, I went to my first dance class in 7 years. I am surprisingly not sore at all today (though my knees and toes have been cracking big time)...but I'm also surprisingly out of shape (maybe not a surprise...).

So what have I been doing other than napping in my 2-day hiatus? I decided I should start watching Dexter now that it's in its 5th season. Luckily, Netflix has the first 2 seasons on the watch instantly list, so I have watched 12 hours of this show in the past 2 days while doing other tasks.

Before I dive into tonight's recipe, I'd like to apologize. For what? For showing pictures of my foods that sometimes look like vomit. The mix for the pizza pot pies looked pretty gross, and so does my turkey mix from tonight's dinner. It somewhat resembles the scene from Gremlins when they get wet and start bubbling and oozing and turn into Gremlins (only it doesn't start a giant party and lip-sync to Sinatra's "New York, New York"...I'm not that good of a chef yet).



Haystack Dinner

Ingredients:

2 cups rice (I used boil-in-bag)
2 lbs. ground turkey
1 (10.75 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (10.75 oz) can cream of celery soup
2 tblsp. milk (i used more)
2 cups cooked peas
shredded cheddar cheese

1. Cook rice.
2. Cook turkey in a large skillet until thoroughly browned. Add both cans of soup and milk; stir until well combined and creamy. Cook until warm.
3. Serve over rice and peas, and top with cheddar cheese.

I added more milk into the mixture to thin it out a little bit.

It was very yummy....and I have 3 days worth of leftovers.

"I hate turkeys. If you stand in the meat section at the grocery store long enough, you start to get mad at turkeys. There's turkey ham, turkey bologna, turkey pastrami. Some one needs to tell the turkey, 'man, just be yourself.' "

— Mitch Hedberg

1 comment:

Denise said...

Yes, it did look like puke but tasted pretty yummy! I don't like peas so I would probably use corn.