Monday, May 9, 2011

Cheddary Chicken Pie

Today has been a day where I've felt I was on top of things, but then would forget something and have to go back and do it. Cooking was no different.

I read the recipe quickly and it seemed simple enough. I did great until the end, after I assembled my whole chicken pie (I learned I am terrible at sealing pie edges...must practice...) and I forgot to preheat the oven. Then as my oven beeped to tell me that it was finally preheated, I realized I forgot to brush the crust with egg. I just wanted a quick process due to the fact that I don't normally cook on Mondays. I had a meeting after work, then took the dog out, and then I usually relax before dance class. I am finally semi-relaxing....still awaiting the pie to finish baking.

Today is Butterscotch Brownie Day...but no recipe for that. Sorry folks. The blog I got this recipe from is one I frequent and have cooked many dishes from. I followed the recipe pretty closely. It called for either frozen veggies or fresh chopped veggies and I almost went with fresh, but I'm glad I grabbed frozen veggies at the store yesterday since this task got put off until today (this was originally yesterday's recipe). My only issue is, a mixed bag of veggies has peas, corn, carrots, green beans and lima beans. I've never had green beans or lima beans in chicken pot pie before (or cheese, but what isn't good with some added cheese??), so this should be interesting. I'm a big fan of my pot pie having chicken, peas and carrots....maybe onions, but usually pretty basic.

Cheddary Chicken Pie
from Pennies on a Platter

2 ready made (or homemade!) pie crusts for a 9" pie plate
2 cups shredded or chopped cooked chicken
1 (10 oz) bag of mixed frozen veggies, thawed
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. flour
1 1/3 cups whole milk
chopped fresh parsley
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 egg, beaten well

1. Preheat oven to 425. Spray pie plate with cooking spray.
2. Melt butter in a saucepan. Add flour and mix for 1 minute, stirring continuously.. Add milk and mix, stir frequently and bring to a simmer.
3. Add veggies and stir. Cook for 3-4 minutes until veggies are heated through.
4. Remove pan from heat and add chicken, cheese and parsley. Mix together.
5. Place one pie crust into the greased pie plate. Spoon filling mix into the crust. Cover with the other crust and seal the edges (do it better than I did!). Be sure to cut slits in the crust so steam can escape unless you are doing a fancy lattice design (I wish I had).
6. Brush crust with beaten egg. Cover crust edges with pieces of foil.
7. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until crust is a deep golden brown.

Chicken cooked and ready to go

Simmering veggies

Check out the edges of that bottom crust.....ugh...

If it wasn't bubbling I would punch my hand into and hand feed myself...I would.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Ahhhh, that looks amazing!!!