Thursday, May 19, 2011

Garlic Basil Pesto Patsa

I usually don't cook on Thursdays, but tonight is not one of my trivia nights. I also completely forgot about a work/dinner party I had, and I was dead set on making this dish. Ever since I saw the photo of it on Tastespotting.com I've been thinking about it. Pesto is not my favorite, unless it's roasted red pepper pesto, which I've made before, and that is divine. Regular basil pesto is great, but it's not an option I'd go with often.

I also poached my very first egg today. Poaching eggs have always scared me. The directions had exact temperatures to follow, all sorts of fancy methods, like pouring the egg into a cup and then into the water, etc. I totally winged it because I was rushing, but my "method" worked. I almost boiled some water in a medium saucepan and poured my egg from a cup into the water gently. I used a spoon to move the whites toward the yolk and let it cook for 3 minutes. Then I removed it with a slotted spoon. I'm awesome.

Garlic Basil Pesto Pasta
from Wee Foodie Fashionista

6 oz dry pasta, I had angel hair on hand
1/2 cup fresh mozzarella balls
1 large bunch of fresh basil, stem and all
1 bulb of garlic peeled
1/2 cup shredded parmesan
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
poached eggs (optional)

1.Prepare pasta according to package directions.
2. While pasta is cooking, combine basil, parmesan, lemon, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper into a food processor. Pulse until mixed well. If you need to add more olive oil do so. The mixture might be a little thick, do not worry.
3. Toss pesto with cooked pasta in a skillet over medium heat.
4. Serve immediately, topped with mozzarella balls and poached eggs.

**I highly....highly....did I say highly?.....recommend eating this with the poached egg. The creaminess of the egg yolk makes the dish sooooo much better. I also threw in some sun dried tomatoes I had in the fridge.

Super terrible quality photos ahead.....

Pesto in the processor

Pesto and mozzarella balls

Awesome egg skills....terrible photo skills




No comments: