Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Cherry Cobbler

Happy Cherry Cobbler Day!

I've never made, nor had, cheery cobbler, so when I looked up a recipe I went with as basic as possible. I'm glad I did, because today provided me with a very tight schedule....as in, for dinner I ate a turkey and cheese sandwich. I also had this fantastic brussel sprout salad planned, but what do you know? Shaws had no brussel sprouts in the store. I love brussel sprouts, but have never bought them. I have literally stood in front of them in the store dozens of times debating whether or not to buy them, and now that I needed them...nowhere to be found. Grrrrrr.....

This recipe was also easy on the wallet, as it's ingredients were mostly baking items I have on hand at all times...flour, sugar, baking powder, butter, milk. I only had to pick up some cherry pie filling.

Cherry Cobbler
from Cooks.com

1/2 stick butter
1 cup flour
1 cup white sugar
2 tbsp. baking powder
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp. salt
1 can of cherry pie filling

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Melt butter in a 9 x 13 x 2 pan. (I used an 8 x 8 pan).
3. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and milk together. It should be thin. Pour over melted butter.
4. Spoon cherry pie filling over the top (do not mix!).
5. Bake for 50-60 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. (Cook fora bout 45 minutes if using a smaller pan like I did).

Beware of hidden cherries.


This was delicious. I was very wary about how I used a smaller pan but the same amount of batter. it puffed up a whole bunch (as you can see in the photo) and covered the cherries, but I liked it that way.

No comments: