Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Chorizo, Shrimp & Corn Stuffed Peppers

I really don't like getting my hopes up for a recipe that sounds absolutely perfect the way it is...only to struggle to find the ingredients you need. Shaws is hit or miss with produce, and this time around, they had no poblano peppers which was what this recipe called for, and part of what drew me in. The other part that drew me in was the chorizo...it was about time that I tried it. I'm glad I did...and I bought too much, so now I have to figure out what I'm going to do to use up the rest. I'm happy with how this turned out despite not having the poblanos. I'm posting the original recipe, since I think that it would be better with the poblanos, but using regular old green bell peppers (or any color bell pepper) works just fine. I also left out the tomatoes since this was a family dinner and Dad and I don't like them.


Chorizo, Shrimp and Corn Stuffed Peppers
from here

  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 lb Mexican-style chorizo
  • 1yellow onion (diced)
  • 1 jalapeno (minced)
  • 2 tablespoons garlic (minced)
  • 1 cup short-grain rice
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 4 large poblano chiles
  • 1 pound shrimp, shelled (chopped)
  • 6 roma tomatoes (diced)
  • 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 3/4 cup shredded pepper-jack cheese
  1. Preheat the oven to 400F and heat the oil in a large skillet.
  2. In the skillet, sauté the chorizo, onion, jalepeno and garlic over medium heat until chorizo is cooked (about 5-10 minutes).
  3. Add the rice, corn, stock, wine and water and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and let simmer until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked (about 25-30 minutes).
  4. While the rice is cooking, place the chiles on a baking sheet and bake at 400F until soft (about 15 minutes).
  5. Once the chiles are soft, cut each in half, remove the seeds and ribs, and set aside.
  6. Once the rice is done, add the shrimp and tomatoes to the mixture, turn the heat to medium and sauté until shrimp is cooked (about 3-5 minutes).
  7. Stuff each chile with the rice mixture, top with cheddar and pepper-jack cheese, and place back into the oven and turn on the broiler.
  8. Broil until cheese begins to turn golden (about 3-5 minutes).
Ready for roasting and stuffing
Chorizo, onions, jalapeno and garlic
Add in some stock, wine and frozen corn
Looking good!

No comments: