Sunday, May 1, 2011

Shrimp with Parmesan Cream

Once again, this is a post with no pictures. I made this over a week ago when my email was down (it's back up though, so tonight's dinner will be a photoshoot), so I didn't even bother to take any photos. This is the first thing I made from my newest cookbook "The Illustrated Kitchen Bible". I chose to make this first because I finally found some creme fraiche in my grocery store and had it in my fridge. This was super simple to make, and it was even quicker due to my store selling pre-diced pancetta (actually, that's the only pancetta they have).

Shrimp with Parmesan Cream
from "The Illustrated Kitchen Bible"

2 tbsp. olive oil
4 oz. pancetta or slab bacon, diced
4 scallions, green and white parts, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
24 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup creme fraiche (or heavy cream if you can't find creme fraiche)
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper
3 tbsp. shredded parmesan cheese

1. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the pancetta and cook for 5 minutes until beginning to brown. Add the scallions and garlic, and cook 3 minutes more, or until the scallions are just beginning to soften.
2. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes, until they are almost completely opaque. Add the creme fraiche and bring just to a simmer. Stir in the lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Lower the heat and simmer until the shrimp are opaque throughout, about 1 minute.
3. Transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Serve hot.

No comments: