Sunday, May 8, 2011

White Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie

It's Coconut Cream Pie Day! It's also Mother's Day. My mother asked for some hanging plants to put up on the porch, so we are going to pick some out soon. I also bought her some flowers. My dog got me some flowers also...she's such a good daughter!

Tess will find water, even dirty water, to frolic in...

Flowers!

I started my day with some Bloody Mary's with the ladies, then had a cookout at my grandmother's. The day didn't stay too warm, so we moved inside for some tea. Pretty good day if you ask me. And in the middle of all of this, I made a pie.

My plan was to make the crust and all, but morning drinks lasted longer than expected, so I bought a premade crust. I also changed the recipe a bit. As much as I do love coconut, this recipe called for coconut mixed into the crust and into the cream filling. I just topped my filling with coconut before putting the whipped cream on top. I got some mixed reviews. My cousin, who doesn't like coconut, did not like the pie (I discount her judgment). My aunt also tried it and she is not a big "texture person" as I call them, and between the pudding, the shredded coconut and the whipped cream it was a bit much. My Gram and I enjoyed it, though it is very sweet due to the white chocolate.


White Chocolate Cream Pie
from here

1 ready made graham cracker pie crust
1 pkg. Jell-O instant coconut cream pie pudding
1 3/4 cup cold milk
1 pkg. Bakers White Chocolate (6 squares)
1 1/2 cups heavy cream, divided
1/2 cup shredded coconut

1. Melt 3 squares of white chocolate in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until completely melted.
2. Pour the chocolate over the bottom of the crust. Refrigerate until solid.
3. Whisk the pudding and milk together for 2 minutes. Pour over the crust and chocolate. Refrigerate until chilled and set.
4. Melt the remaining squares of chocolate and 1/4 cup of cream in a large microwave safe bowl. Stir every 30 seconds until fully melted and mix to combine fully. Let the mix cool until it reaches room temperature.
5. Sprinkle the shredded coconut over the set pudding.
6. Using an electric stand mixer with a chilled bowl, whisk the remaining cream until soft peaks form. Pour in the white chocolate mixture and whisk until thicker peaks form. Spread over the pie and refrigerate to chill.
7. Serve!

Lighting isn't great in Gram's kitchen

Mmmmmm

No comments: