Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Raspberry Tarts

Today is Raspberry Tart Day! My grandmother and mother have been making tarts for years, and I believe it was about time that the recipe came down to a new generation. I can't believe I haven't made these yet, as it's a family favorite and SO EASY to make. I made these in a flash before an alumni meeting I had tonight. My grandmother's comment was "it's about time you've graduated up" or something similar...she was basically saying that since I used her recipe I am now a master chef. I'm fine with her thinking that.

Raspberry Tarts
from the family

2 refrigerated pie crusts
seedless (or seeded) raspberry preserves
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 stick of butter, softened
2 eggs
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 pkg. shredded coconut

**I recommend using a tart baking pan for the perfect shape. A pan usually makes 9 tarts, I filled 2 pans**

1. Preheat oven to 400. Spray or grease your tart pans.
2. Roll out the dough onto a flat surface. Using the rim of a glass (or any other small circular cutter) cut out 18 rounds. Place them into the tart pan.
3. Place a teaspoon of preserves onto the dough rounds.
4. Combine sugar and butter and mix until smooth. (My butter was more "melty" than soft and that worked fine). Add the eggs, baking powder and coconut and mix until combined. You want a nice thick coconut mixture.
5. Place a tablespoon of the coconut mix on top of the preserves.
6. Bake for 20 minutes. (Be sure to check on these as the preserves often times boil over the pans, and the coconut can burn).


Don't put too much preserves, they boil over quickly!


Oh yes.

No comments: