Sunday, May 1, 2011

Linguine with Tomato Clam Sauce

My cooking motivation has returned. I have two posts for tonight's meal, the main course and the dessert.

Today is Chocolate Parfait Day. How do I know this? WELL, in my classroom we do an activity every day where every day is a special day...it's someone famous' birthday, something was invented, it's a special food day, etc...

I got to thinking that I bet there's list of special food days somewhere...and that somewhere is the internet. I googled "special food days" and was guided to www.thenibble.com, where you can go month by month and see what food is represented each day. There are some repeats, which I tried to avoid, but I have a list of special food days for every day of the year. Yup, every day of the year. Today, May 1st, is Chocolate Parfait Day. That recipe will be in the next post.

So what are the special food days of May, you ask?!

May 1 - Chocolate Parfait Day
May 2 - Truffles Day
May 3 - Raspberry Tart Day
May 4 - Orange Juice Day
May 5 - Cinco de Mayo (wayyy too many foods could fall under this)
May 6 - Crepes Suzette Day
May 7 - Roast Leg of Lamb Day
May 8 - Coconut Cream Pie Day
May 9 - Butterscotch Brownie Day
May 10 - Shrimp Day
May 11 - Eat What You Want Day
May 12 - Nutty Fudge Day
May 13 - Apple Pie Day
May 14 - Buttermilk Biscuit Day
May 15 - BBQ Day
May 16 - Coquilles St. Jacques Day
May 17 - Cherry Cobbler Day
May 18 - Cheese Souffle day
May 19 - Devil's Food Cake Day
May 20 - Quiche Lorraine Day
May 21 - Strawberries and Cream Day
May 22 - Vanilla Pudding Day
May 23 - Taffy Day
May 24 - Escargot Day
May 25 - Wine Day
May 26 - Blueberry Cheesecake Day
May 27 - Grape Popsicle Day
May 28 - Brisket Day
May 29 - Coq Au Vin Day
May 30 - Mint Julep Day
May 31 - Macaroon Day

I mainly cook on Sundays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, as Mondays I have 2 hours of dance and Thursday - Saturday I'm out and about at night. I am going to try to make as many things as I can on the list that fits into my schedule. So, I had the parfait planned, I just needed my actual meal. That is where the linguine comes in.

Linguine with Tomato Clam Sauce
from "The Illustrated Kitchen Bible"


2 tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 (28 oz) can chopped tomatoes (I used crushed)
2 (6oz) cans of clams in natural juice, drained and juice reserved
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tbsp. tomato paste
salt and pepper
1 lb. dried linguine
parsley to garnish

1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes with their juices, clam juices, wine and tomato paste. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce to low heat, partially cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.

2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Stir in the linguine, and cook according to the package directions or until al dente. Drain the pasta, and shake to remove any excess water.
3. When the pasta is almost done, add the clams to the sauce and continue to simmer for 1-2 minutes, until heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add the linguine to the sauce and toss to coat and make sure that the clams are evenly distributed throughout the pasta. Sprinkle with pasta and serve.

No comments: