Sunday, May 22, 2011

Spinach and Egg Noodle Casserole

Today was the day of my Pampered Chef party!!! My wish list was almost an entire page long...I have to nail down a few items that I definitely want by the close of my party on Thursday. New steak knives sound great...

Today was also Vanilla Pudding Day, and I was going to make a trifle, but I decided against it. I made these mini casseroles instead, and I'm glad I did. They were a big hit.

This is a recipe from Rachel Ray's magazine. It says that the recipe can be made into one big casserole or 12 mini casseroles......lies! All lies! I made 12 mini casseroles AND a large casserole with the one recipe.

Spinach and Egg Noodle Casserole
from Everyday with Rachel ray

2 (10 oz) packages of frozen chopped spinach
1 lb. extra-wide egg noodles
1 tbsp. EVOO
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp butter
2 rounded tablespoons of flour
2 cups whole milk
freshly grated nutmeg (i used ground nutmeg)
2 egg yolks
1 cup panko or whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
1 cup shredded Gruyere
1/2 cup shredded parmagiano-reggiano cheese

1. In a microwave, defrost the spinach, then wring dry in a clean kitchen towel. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, and cook the pasta until al dente. Drain and return pasta to the pan.

2. While the pasta is cooking, add EVOO to a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the spinach, breaking it apart, to heat through. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the pan from the heat.

3. Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the broiler. While the onion cooks, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour for one minute, then whisk in the milk; season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.

4. In a bowl, whisk a little of the sauce with the egg yolks; then whisk the yolk mixture into the sauce in the pan and turn the heat to the lowest setting. In a bowl, combine the panko and cheeses.

5. Stir the spinach and sauce into the pasta and combine. Transfer to a casserole dish or into 12 greased muffin tins. Top with the panko-cheese mixture. Broil in the oven until bubbly and brown, 3-5 minutes.

I used about a cup and a half of Gruyere cheese, because I had it on hand (already shredded!) and 1/4 cup of shredded parmesan. 

Mini casserole for the party

Learn how to measure, Rachel Ray!

No comments: