Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Chinese Stir-Fry Scallops

Let's chat for a moment. I came home from work today with no idea of what to make for dinner and being $10 away from a free turkey at Shaws. I rummaged through my new Bon Appetit Fast Easy Fresh cookbook (so awesome) and my bookmarked website recipes...and my recipe binders and books...and the last one I looked at was the winner. I almost made pizza, but decided to save that for Friday night. I wrote down my shopping list for tonight, Friday and my Sunday dessert and off I went to get my supplies (and my free turkey!).

Chinese Stir-Fry Scallops
from Use Real Butter

1 lb. fresh sea scallops
1 tbsps Chinese sherry
1 tsp cornstarch
4 tbsps Chinese black bean sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsps water
2 tbsps vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, minced
4 or 5 slices of ginger
2 stalks green onion, fine chopped

Mix together the scallops, Chinese sherry, and cornstarch in a bowl until the scallops are evenly coated. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine the black bean sauce, soy sauce, sugar, and water. Set aside. Heat the vegetable oil in a large sauté pan over high flame. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and ginger. Stir-fry for a minute and add the scallops and scallions to the pan. Sauté for about a minute (those scallops cook fast and the saddest thing in the world is an overcooked rubbery scallop). Stir in the black bean sauce mixture. Stir stir stir for a minute. Remove from heat and serve immediately.






I used rice wine in place of the sherry, as I couldn't find (nor have any idea what is) Chinese sherry.  I served mine over brown rice and added some steamed peas for a little something extra on the plate. Delish!

Before I go, I have to mention that I am wayyy excited that it is clementine season. There is a box sitting on mum's counter waiting to be devoured. I forget about clementines til I see them again in the fall...one of my favorite seasonal foods, along with mini cadbury eggs....

No comments: