Thursday, November 11, 2010

Tex Mex Buttermilk Chicken Tenders

After the cheesecake adventure, I had planned an easy and quick dinner due to the fact that I was going to see the high school's performance of The Phantom of the Opera (which was incredible!). I decided to make Tex Mex chicken tenders that I saw in Rachel Ray's magazine.

Tex Mex Buttermilk Chicken Tenders
from Everyday with Rachel Ray

4 cups vegetable oil, for frying
2 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. smoked paprika
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. onion powder
1 tbsp. poultry seasoning
2 tsp. grated lime peel
2 cups buttermilk
2 1/2 cups flour
2 lbs. chicken tenders

1. In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. In a bowl, combine the chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, poultry seasoning and lime peel. In a shallow bowl, combine the buttermilk with half of the spice mix. In another shallow bowl, combine the flour and remaining spice mix. Season the chicken tenders with salt and pepper.

2. Using tongs, dip the tenders into the buttermilk, then coat with the flour mix; repeat for a second coating. Working in batches, add the chicken tenders to the skillet and cook until golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain on a rack.

I served them with some sliced up russet potatoes that were baked with some monterey jack cheese and green onions. You just slice some potatoes, toss them with olive oil, salt and pepper, brown them in a skillet for 8 to 10 minutes, then either transfer the skillet to the oven (if it oven proof) and bake at 375 for about 25 minutes. Or, transfer them to ramekins as I did.
The Lineup


Mix them all together with some lime
It will look like this...

No pictures of the coating, but definitely some frying
Very simple dinner

I would add more chili powder to the mix next time, as I was hoping the tenders would have a kick to them, and they didn't. The texture was great, nice and thick, and the chicken was cooked perfectly. It was very juicy.

For now, I am signing off and checking the newest additions to my favorite websites Tastespotting and Foodgawker (why won't it let me add in a link???).

No comments: