Sunday, November 21, 2010

Pizza with Caramelized Onions, Blue Cheese and Mushrooms

I really slacked on blogging this weekend. I have 5 (yes 5) recipes to post. I also slacked on photos, and the few I took aren't so great. Oh well.

I made dinner on Friday night. I haven't eaten at home on a Friday in maybe over a year. I had to go to the high school to watch WA Idol, and perform in the faculty act. We did a parody of the show 'Glee' and did a dance routine to "Good Vibrations" by Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch. It was pretty fun. I decided to make a pizza since it was quick, and it came out terrific! It just consisted of me caramelizing some onions and sauteing some shiitake mushrooms.



Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Blue Cheese
from: Bon Appetite: Fast Easy Fresh cookbook

2 1/2 tbsp olive oil, divided
2 large onions, thinly sliced
2 tsp light brown sugar
8 oz. fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps sliced
1 14-oz. baked pizza crust
2 cups crumbled blue cheese
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme

1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and saute until tender about 10 minutes. Sprinkle sugar over the onions. Reduce heat and saute onions until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
2. Heat remaining oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add mushrooms and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute mushrooms until tender and golden, about 8 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 450. Place crust on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle blue cheese and thyme over crust. Top with onions, then mushrooms. Bake pizza until crust is crisp and topping is heated through, about 15 minutes.

I used regular white sugar when caramelizing my onions and added some balsamic vinegar in the last 5 minutes.

No comments: