Saturday, November 13, 2010

Not So Good, But Oh So Good Foods

As I am sitting here, relaxing, looking up recipes on various blogs, I got sort of hungry. Earlier I had a cup of Trader Joe's Biryani, which just wasn't cutting it. I am supposed to get some real Indian food tonight, so the frozen Biryani wasn't feeding my need for Indian food. I rummaged around for a snack or small meal, and then went rummaging through Ma and Pa's fridge too. Then, I came across these in their freezer:



Yep. Stuffed Clams. Frozen stuffed clams to be exact. Everyone has those beloved foods that should really be avoided. I'm talking about the process, packaged, box, most-likely-so-unhealthy-but-totally-super-delicious foods. This is one of them. I haven't had them in YEARS, but ate them frequently as a child. I have never read a nutrition, or ingredient for that matter, label for these, and probably never will. There are plenty of other foods like this that I have enjoyed, and still enjoy, on a somewhat regular basis.

One of those being Ramen noodles. Seriously, don't tell me you've never eaten or don't like ramen noodles. They were a staple in college, and it is my firm belief that I was never hung over in college due to ramen noodles (and DP Dough, a place that delivered $4 calzones til 4 a.m.). Now that I have discovered real cooking, ramen is still in my life. There are some great recipes for soups and pasta that use ramen noodles.

Another food of this nature is Kraft Mac & Cheese. I probably eat this once a month...maybe a little less than that, and still love it. I often add peas and corn to my mac & cheese, or shrimp or lobster if I have it, and I like it cold. For years, I would never eat any food that should be served warm cold. The thought of cold pizza disgusted me (til I tried when I was, shall we say, a bit tipsy) and eating a cold pasta dish other than pasta salad was out of the question. To be honest, I don't remember the first time I ate cold mac & cheese, but it was glorious.

My tastes have changed over the years. When I was a child I ate almost nothing but fruits, veggies, pasta and seafood. Chicken occasionally, but beef, pork or steak...never. Other than hot dogs (which is a mix of mystery meat and god only knows what else), there was no meat in my life. Oh wait! I also LOVED fried bologna. Nowadays, I see a steak and my mouth waters, I will knock someone out to be first in line for a pulled pork sandwich and I even eat raw beef. Funny how children have such opinions of foods they have never tried. The only foods I still don't like to this day are raw tomatoes (though I will eat them if needed), plain mayo (mixed into dips and whatnot is fine), and mustard. Also, prime rib makes me gag. To see all that fat and people eating it is just not right.

I think I am done with this rant.

No comments: