Thursday, November 11, 2010

Pineapple Carrot Cake Cheesecake

Most of you should have noticed by now that my blog looks different...it even has a new title. The old title was from when I made an account long ago (that I never used, nor remembered setting up) and doesn't really describe what this blog is all about, which is awesomeness, magic and food. As I am very much a "recipe reader", I use cookbooks, magazines and blog posts to guide me, hence the new title. I still want a customized blog, but this will do for now. In the past few days I've been busy planning and hatching culinary ideas in my head. It all kicked off today.

Today is a special day. Not only is it Veteran's Day (thanks to all who serve!), but it's Sarah Beth's First Cheesecake Day. Cheesecake is my favorite dessert, and while I am not much of a heavy chocolate lover, Chocolate Raspberry Truffle cheesecake from Cheesecake Factory is my favorite. But I am determined to force my taste buds to branch out and try things I never would have tried (a good example would be the paneer I ate for the first time earlier this week -yum!). I am not one for carrot cake, but this recipe sounded too good to pass up.

Amazing.



Pineapple Carrot Cake Cheesecake
from Pennies on a Platter

For the cheesecake:
16 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon flour
3 eggs

For the carrot cake:
3/4 cup veggie oil
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger
8 oz can crushed pineapple, packed in 100% juice, drained well, reserve juice
1 cup grated carrots
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

For the Pineapple Cream Cheese Frosting:
2 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon reserved pineapple juice

Preheat oven to 350˚F and grease a 9- or 9 1/2- inch springform pan.
For the cheesecake batter, in a large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth.  Mix in the flour, eggs and vanilla until fully incorporated and no lumps remain.  Set aside.

To prepare the carrot cake batter, combine the oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and spices.  Stir into the egg mixture and mix well.  Add the pineapple, carrots, coconut and walnuts.  Stir until just combined.
 
To assemble the cheesecake, pour 1 1/2 cups of the carrot cake batter over the bottom of the prepared pan.   Drop spoonfuls of the cream cheese batter over the bottom layer of carrot cake, using up 1/4 of the batter and reserving the rest for the top layer. Top with large spoonfuls of remaining carrot cake batter.  Repeat with remaining cream cheese batter, spreading evenly with a knife.
Bake for 50 to 65 minutes or until cake is set and cooked through.  Cool completely, then cover and refrigerate.  When the cake is cold, prepare the Pineapple Cream Cheese frosting.

Pineapple Cream Cheese Frosting:
Using an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese, butter, sugar, vanilla and pineapple juice. Beat until smooth.  Add additional juice or sugar to desired spreading consistency.   Frost the top of the cheesecake.  Refrigerate 3 to 4 hours before serving.

I used about 3 tablespoons of pineapple juice in my frosting, as I wanted it a little thinner and more pineapple-y. I also topped my cake with more walnuts and coconut. The carrot cake was perfectly moist, which was due to the pineapple, that you can't even really taste.

Ohhhh cheesecake....



Carrot cake....

All baked up....

This mixer of mine caused me to want to do a sort of Julia & Julia thing. I got a new cookbook last night and it is magical.


I know that is a completely unoriginal idea, but a) I don't care and b) it's fun (and I don't care). This cookbook is categorized with "whisk ratings" from 1 to 4 whisks based on the difficulty of the dessert. I plan on starting with the 1 whisk desserts and making all of those, then moving on to the two whisk desserts and so forth. I will do most of my baking on Sundays when I have the most time, it'll be Sunday Sweets.

1 comment:

Denise said...

I need to hurry up and buy my new treadmill...yikes!! This carrot cake cheese cake is awesome!!