Monday, November 15, 2010

Roasted Red Pepper and Basil Pesto Pasta

Oh. My. Goodness. Gracious. Today was long, exhausting, and just full of anxiousness. I was looking forward to this dish, but not really looking forward to cooking it. I just want to melt into my couch and watch the cooking channel all night. But, I am so glad I made this and didn't just veg out and eat a sandwich or something, because this is amazingly delicious. I keep saying that I am going to eat healthier, but I just cannot forgo pasta. But this has roasted red pepper in it, which is a veggie, and veggies are healthy. Problem solved!

Back to reality and my unconditional love for all things carb. The recipe even calls for an optional addition for 1/4 cup of cream if you want a heavier, creamier sauce. I obviously added it, and even thought (just 1/4 cup??). I know. It's bad. But one day, my rich Italian boyfriend will love me for my love of cooking pasta dishes. Oh wait, this is reality right....?

I got this recipe from Annie's Eats, where I've gotten a lot of recipes lately. This girl is a doctor and amazing cook...and a mother.... and I thought my life was busy.


The goodness

Roasted Red Pepper and Basil Pesto Pasta
Ingredients:
3 cloves garlic
1/3 cup pine nuts
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup roasted red bell pepper (fresh or jarred)
1 cup basil leaves
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 lb. penne pasta
¼ cup heavy cream, optional

Directions:
Place garlic and pine nuts in a food processor.  Pulse until finely chopped.  Add Parmesan, red pepper, basil leaves, salt and pepper.  Pulse until well combined.  With the motor running, add olive oil through the feed tube and process until incorporated.  Set aside.

Cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain and return to the pot.  Add the pesto to the pasta and stir to combine.  Stir in heavy cream if desired for a creamier sauce.  Heat until warmed through.  Serve immediately.

I wish my kitchen could smell like garlic and basil all the time....and balsamic vinegar....and freshly baked cookies....
A girl can dream!

If I find motivation, I will bake cookies tonight....but don't get your hopes up.

No comments: