Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Grilled Mushroom Cheddar Melts

Today was a big day. Mum and I went to look at couches (again) at the JCPenney Home Store, because they are having a sale. Their sale prices were ridiculous, so then we looked at curtains. Nothing. Then....then....I saw them. The standing mixers. They had Sunbeam mixers in several colors on sale. I grabbed a box and made a Christmas bargain with Mum. I ventured off, giant box in arms, and looked at other fun kitchen things. And then, the best thing happened (I know, I tricked you into thinking the mixer was the best part). I saw the KITCHENAID STANDING MIXER. I looked at Mum...she looked at me....shaking her head and rolling her eyes. We made yet another Christmas bargain. A saleswoman told Mum that if I was going to get one, I might as well get the Kitchenaid one, since it is the best. This woman also had a spider crawling on her jacket, but I didn't tell her. With my luck, she would've brushed it off onto me and I would've had to beat her with the meat tenderizers hanging on the wall at the end of the aisle.

So, I am now a proud owner a brand new red Kitchenaid standing mixer. My mom is way better than any other mom. Don't argue with me, or I'll poison your food. I also own some new cast-iron pans...but I bought those for myself.

Onto tonight's course. Grilled Mushroom Cheddar Melts. They were super easy and super yummy.


These are just some of the ingredients. I have decided that Yankee Candle should make a Balsamic Vinegar scented candle...


Melt some butter.


Saute some mushrooms and onions.


Melt some more butter with garlic and thyme.


Brush bread with melted butter mix.


Et voila!

I tweaked the recipe to fit what I had on-hand, and it still turned out great. Next time, I definitely want to try it with the shallots and a thicker bread. I also used dried thyme from a a jar and used less of what the recipe calls for as it is much more potent.

Grilled Mushroom Cheddar Melts

2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 lg. shallot, thinly sliced (I used green onions I had on-hand)
1/2 lb. mixed wild mushroom (store didn't have any, so I use baby portabellos)
1 tsp. fresh thyme, plus 3 sprigs (I used dried thyme)
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup white wine
1 garlic clove, chopped
4 slices country bread (I used a hearty white bread)
1/3 lb. white cheddar, sliced

1. In a large skillet, melt 1 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and mushrooms, and saute, stirring every few minutes, and until the mushrooms have begun to release their liquids, about 5 minutes.
2. Season with a sprinkle of salt and add the vinegar. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the wine and thyme. Scrape up any mushroom drippings. Saute until mushrooms are dark and caramelized, and the liquids have been fully absorbed, about 5 more minutes. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, melt remaining butter, garlic, and thyme. Arrange bread on work surface and brush both sides with garlic butter. Divide cheese among each slice. Top one half with mushrooms and sandwich with remaining bread. Heat grill pan to med-high and brush with olive oil. Grill sandwich for 2 minutes, then rotate for those nice grill lines and cook for 1 more minute.

I used a Foreman Grill and it came out fabulously.

3 comments:

Denise said...

Yes, I am an awesome Mum and even better my Christmas shopping for Sarah is done!! Spider??

Jennifer said...

ahhhhhh, i had the most beautiful lime green stand up mixer that my mother guilted me into giving to her after i got it... damn it all. now I have a hand mixer... LOL

ProudUSARECWife said...

I would have never thought to use thyme when buttering bread before grilling...hmm...wonder if I can convince hubby to whip this up now so we can give it a go