Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Yumminess

I know I promised everyone that I would be cooking tonight, but I forgot that I have dance tonight. And something tells me that mowing down a Wild Mushroom and Cheddar Panini wouldn't sit well while dancing. Luckily, I went to Trader Joe's before coming home. I love Trader Joes, and every time I go, I buy something new to play with. Today, I bought a few new things. First, I bought some Paneer Tikka Masala. It's the frozen kind, but I am still easing into Indian food. I know eating the frozen version of anything is no way to get into a food...Trader Joe's Biryani is nowhere near as good as the Biryani I tried at the one Indian restaurant I ever ate at all the way in NYC, but whatever. I also bought Pumpkin Pie Spice (and pumpkin puree at another store), and polenta.

I also got what I just snacked on (it was more of a meal, actually). I got Pork Char Siu Bao!!!! It definitely deserves the 4 exclamation points I gave it, or at least the authentic version does. The first time I had Char Siu Bao was at a Dim Sum restaurant with my dear friend Elaine (whose cooking makes me look like a child with an Easy Bake Oven) and her parents. We needed her parents to go so they could translate for us, as the restaurant was pretty authentic and they spoke Chinese (I think?). I've had it a couple of times since at the buffet at The Mirage in Las Vegas. Someday, I WILL get Dim Sum again. Char Siu Bao are these little fluffy dumpling/roll/buns filled with a barbecue type pork mix. The buns are slightly sweet and so soft and fluffy....

Anyways, I made these the lazy and most awful way I could (shame has fallen upon me)...I microwaved them (in my defense, I was STARVING). I will definitely buy them again and steam them, and then actually get Dim Sum and eat real homemade ones. They were actually pretty tasty in the microwave.



Right before I ate, I was asked a very important and life-changing question...

"What do you want for Christmas?"

And then, I was given the following options:
- money for airfare
- a new couch
- a standing mixer

I have no idea which to choose. A couch would be the most expensive, and very much needed (read last night's post about my current apartment state). A standing mixer would get a lot of use if I decide to become a phenomenal baker (which I've given some serious thought to as of late), and airfare provides me with tickets to go see my cousin in Florida, who I've been meaning to visit for years, and to see my brother in California (where the Saddle Ranch restaurant has the most amazing BBQ chicken nachos ever! And seeing my brother is awesome...).

Ok, I have an hour to relax before heading off to work off these Char Siu Bao calories, and I will do just that.

No comments: